Monday, June 20, 2016

6-20-2016

 HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!
Dad, Im just sending a quick email to wish you a happy fathers day! I loved getting your email and am so happy that you guys have received my graduation diploma! Dad, thank you so much for your example to me and your role that you have played and are playing in my life as I become a man. To be honest, I don't think I would be here if it weren't for your example and help in my life, thank you. I hope that you always remember dad how much you mean to those you're taking care of :) Love yah!
Your Son,
~Elder Morris



Banjour!

KaMOOstawww!!
Oh my gosh, I'm so happy that that has not faded yet, hehehe xD They should suggest next time to pick Tagalog and say Kamusta! That would be awesome too ;) What's really funny is that this last week when we had the french man move in underneath us... that is EXACTLY what I wanted to say to him, but being a missionary, I decided not too :) 
Well, when I tell you about my week... I'll tell you about the baptism. But I love to hear about the missionary experience of Peter... keep up the good work bud :) That's the challenge that everyone needs to be doing... missionary work, I can pretty much testify that so many blessings come to those who do the missionary work and to those who are receiving the message :)
I know that it's so lame that my glasses broke so I've been pretty much a mole out here for the last week. But it wouldn't be hard to get glasses out here, since there are actually places here that do that! (NOT like sketchy, there are actually some good ones that are pretty high class looking). If you could try to find my perscription at walmart when you drop by or try at the rip off place to see if they have it... it's like behind the place in woodstock that has like Goodwill and stuff, I don't remember exactly what name it was, but I know where it is, haha xD
Speaking of drums... if any of the kids want to play on them or want to  learn... they can! I think that I still have the books up there in the barn ;) Besides, i need someone to try and take care of them while I'm gone! And then we could have a drum battle when I come home... just saying, haha! Though I'll say that my skills are going way down the hill with 0 practice and focusing on the missionary work!
It's so good to hear about all the awesome farm adventures and home that it keeps going really aewsome! Keep being save in that 90s weather... which right now would actually sound really nice... xD
So... first thing is first, and it's really kind of sad news. Our baptism that was supposed to be this week has actually been moved because we arranged President D to give him the interview and it revealed only ONE problem. I guess that when he was previously taught the Word of Wisdom, he didn't know that those things are more so not allowed and he can't be using them in order to be baptized, but I guess that he hasn't really been avoiding them. 
So we'll be reteaching him that this week and reset the baptism date to probably July 23rd or so (because here in the Philippines we have some pretty big standards, like they have to be 1 month clean of any violation of WOW, as well as come to church 4 times in a row!!) But still, as long as he will get baptized, that's really what's important :) We also have hopefully another baptism coming up soon to a sister who moved into our area who was taught by other missionaries named D... she has really got a strong testimony that she knows this church is true. And came to church yesterday, so was able to make friends with all the YW in our ward!
We had a really good week this week, with a lot of people that we taught... it seems that out here in the Philippines, when one strives to find investigators, and I mean REALLY try... there in NOT a shortage of people who are willing to listen to this message. The only problem right now seems to be that most people don't keep our commitments, but such is missionary work. In fact, this week I've really come to love and understand the depth and importance of my calling... and that's only been coming as I walk every day and talk to the people here in my area!
Today marks the start of Transfer week, so honestly I don't know if I'm going to receive a new companion with, but the time with Elder A has really been so fun. Honestly it doesn't' feel to me like I was being a followup trainer to him, because he's really a talented missionary! It's just such a crazy thought to me to think that 6 weeks have almost passed since I started this awesome transfer! 
Anyway, to be honest I don't really know what else to say about this week... it was actually not really all that hot, since we're really close to the rainy season... and that ought to be fun, because what that means is Baguios.... typhoons, and crazy storms! I ought to start having some interesting rainy stories and such soon :)
Love you guys! Thank you so much for all the pictures, it's so crazy how much you guys are changing and growing up! Except for you Tay, Nay... you still look the same ;)
From the Philippines with SWAG.
 
~Elder Morris
ps- not really a lot of pictures, but I've been seeing some really beautiful sunsets and have been having some pretty heavy rain! The last is Elder A with one of the coolest people that i have met! Brother Pagaduan! :D

6-13-2016

Wow, you know... I honestly was NOT expecting that to be the first words that I would read in the email. Things like that are really just a testimony to me of how close the second coming is and how quickly the world is spiraling downward. From some people I've talked to... they're very convinced that the second coming is in like 200-300 more years and I'm sitting here like... "just listen to the things that are happening in the world and you'll realize just how close it is". It's really sad that that happened and also that President Obama is kind of... clueless. But anyway, that raised my question as I wrote that: since I'm overseas... is there some way that I can still vote since I'm 18? Because after all I am still an American :)P
Anyway, it's so fun to hear about all the adventures back home with the farm and homeschooling! No... I havent gotten your package, but I expect it to come one of these Mondays when we have our District Meeting... but I don't know yet, it's just funny how long it takes to get stuff around the world. But then we somehow can send emails and stuff almost instantly across the oceans! Pretty cool huh? 
That's a really fun thing to hear about your homeschooling this week and about the anniversary of D-Day... I bet there was nothing in the news about it, right? :P But that's really fun that you guys took the time to remember it!
Oh, and just so you know Mommy... here in the Philippines you would be called "Nay" because you're not quite an old lady and deserve "Nanay" so just so you know, that's what I'm going to call you when I get home ;)
Anyway, so my week was pretty awesome!!!
Well, I feel blessed this week in the work. And I really have grown in my testimony that the people are being prepared for this message! We met some previous investigators for some reason were dropped, but when we found and talked to them... it was super amazing and they were really receptive!
But first I want to talk about our upcoming baptism on the 25th for Brother E, he was taught for nearly 3 years straight without being dropped. I think that early on the problem was that he was a live in... or not married... but  that was fixed a while ago and now he's ready! Hopefully President D will be able to work with us to schedule an interview for him. It actually really amazed me how strong his testimony is in the light of all that is happening, and to be honest I feel so blessed to be a part of that wonderful work!
In other news I had a pretty awesome time this week helping paint the home of one of the members... it was actually a LOT of work and I got a little bit messy, but that's okay xD
What else? Oh, my glasses finally broke... I think what happened is that on a really hot day, sweat more or less rolls down my face and I guess that it eventually rusted through one of the things in the side of my glasses and... they broke! Or in Tagalog... nasira ang salamin ko :O
And only one more quick story before I go... when I found a HUGE pool of potential investigators and future baptisms in the form of part member families. So on Sunday we go on a Split with the members and I went with our Branch President, we went to one area that i had not ever been to to contact some less active families, which was really helpful. But anyway, we get to this one family compound (here in the Philippines, it's not uncommon to find families where the were all born and raised in one home and then when they get older, to literally build homes around their original... so basically creating this group of homes all from the same family group) and... well Nanay is a member and so were here kids... but almost all of her kids married non members and now have children who are well over 8. So basically in one day I found the potential of some 5 part member families living in one tiny area... who are really receptive! What a remarkable blessing and moment, which honestly makes me wonder who else here is ready to receive this message and what can I do to make sure we get to them?
I guess that's really all that I can say about this week... it's been another hot but fun week here in the Philippines! I guess that I DO have a funny story to share this week, due to the fact that my Tagalog is good enough now that I can function pretty well in most situations... it's so common to have people be so surprised. Like a little while ago this old lady comes up to me while we were shopping at the public market for our vegetables... she asks me... marunong ba kayong magTagalog? and when I told her yes... I think it was just the funniest expression that I have ever seen. 
Hahaha, and then another thing that happened is after teaching this really old lady... like 90 years old and after the lesson as were going she looks me dead in the eyes with this kind of mischievous look and tells me I'm super gwapo... handsome xD Kind of funny, because she was this little old Nanay!  
Anyway, I look forward to this week coming up... it's so crazy the fact that my 4th transfer in the field is almost over... this 6 weeks is just flying by so fast!

Love you guys, and take care there in good ol' Virginia :)
Love you guys,
Elder Morris

PS- Crazy the pictures like the snake and so awesome that you're going to be in a Childrens Book, Nay! Hehehe.









Don't worry about my fountain night picture... that was only around 7pm after having a MIssionary Fireside at our chapel :)P

No comments:

Post a Comment